Spontaneous Combustion

I have spent 4 years studying electro-magnetic waves, I could design you a small power generator (in principle), but can I get my kitchen light to work!
How hard can it be?

Anyone who thinks studying theories is enough to make them an expert should be prepared for a shock when it comes to putting those theories in to
practice. The house we bought although only 35 years old has the electrics and cabling, that would have any electrician worth his salt sucking in air
over his teeth whilst shaking his head, and planning his next holiday whilst he plucks a number out of the air to quote you for the work.

We had electric connected to the house partially since we first arrived, in partially I mean that some of the lights have worked, some of the sockets
have worked but never everything all at the same time. Anyone who has done electrics, knows that this is done before the plastering of walls so all
the nasty cables are hidden. What then do you do if you need re-wiring done? Without going as far as chiseling canals through all the walls to be
plastered over, the only other option is to have the cables on the outside of the walls, either in trunking or as in Bulgaria nailed to the wall.

Last month one of my sockets blew up, lots of smoke, nasty smell of electrical fire but I could not locate the problem.

What could make a socket that has worked perfectly well for ages suddenly decide to spontaneously combust (X – files not required).
After removing the said socket from the wall (Note to HSE I had rubber wellies on and had turned the power off) there holding the cable behind the
socket to the wall one large six inch nail, which after 35 years of work had finally cut through the plastic covering of the cable and had quite happily
joined in matrimony both positive and negative cables. Thus turning it into a small one bar fire and hence the spontaneously combusting socket.

Bulgarian Top Tip on electrics: Do not nail cables to wall!

Exploding Socket

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...