I have excelled myself this year, not only have I made brandy out of my not so good homemade wine. I have even made a fair stab at ‘Guinness’ type beer. This is my first attempt at beer and it really is not as difficult as I thought, so if you ever wanted to have ago I would highly recommend it, a few hours prep, 7 days of fermenting = 30 litres of beer!
Here is what I used for my dark stout (Guinness)
- 3kg Pale Malt
- 900g Flaked Barley
- 400g of Roasted Barley
- 50g of Dried Fresh Hops
- 1 x Protofloc Tablet
- 12g sachet of ale yeast
All these things are available on-line or in your local brew shop and for the thirty litres of good beer you will get will probably set you back not much over a tenner!
How to make it:
- Mash the grains in hot water – 65C for about an hour.
- Top up with 30 litres of water and bring to the boil.
- Add the hops
- Boil for 45 mins then add the protofloc tablet
- Boil for another 15 mins then allow to cool to 30ishC
- Syphon off your ‘wort’ in to your fermentation vessel and add the yeast sachet
- Wait 7 days or so…(this is the hard bit)
- Drink and be merry!