Home Page

Self Reliant   |  Living in Bulgaria   |  Bees & Beekeeping   |  Home Brew    |  Gud Life Shop

  My Attempt At Self Reliant Living

  Self Reliant Living Articles
  Useful Self Sufficent Links
  Talk to Us
  Living In Bulgaria
  June 2010
  July 2010
  August 2010
  September 2010
  October 2010
  November 2010
  Gud Life Forum with Photo Gallery
  Book reviews

  The best and worst books I've read!
  Reviews 28 July 2010






Spontaneous Combustion - 10 December 2010
  I have spent 4 years studying electro-magnetic waves, I could design you a small power generator (in principle), but can I get my kitchen light to work! How hard can it be?

Anyone who thinks studying theories is enough to make them an expert should be prepared for a shock when it comes to putting those theories in to practice. The house we bought although only 35 years old has the electrics and cabling, that would have any electrician worth his salt sucking in air over his teeth whilst shaking his head, and planning his next holiday whilst he plucks a number out of the air to quote you for the work.

We had electric connected to the house partially since we first arrived, in partially I mean that some of the lights have worked, some of the sockets have worked but never everything all at the same time. Anyone who has done electrics, knows that this is done before the plastering of walls so all the nasty cables are hidden. What then do you do if you need re-wiring done? Without going as far as chiseling canals through all the walls to be plastered over, the only other option is to have the cables on the outside of the walls, either in trunking or as in Bulgaria nailed to the wall.

Last month one of my sockets blew up, lots of smoke, nasty smell of electrical fire but I could not locate the problem.

What could make a socket that has worked perfectly well for ages suddenly decide to spontaneously combust (X - files not required). After removing the said socket from the wall (Note to HSE I had rubber wellies on and had turned the power off) there holding the cable behind the socket to the wall one large six inch nail, which after 35 years of work had finally cut through the plastic covering of the cable and had quite happily joined in matrimony both positive and negative cables. Thus turning it into a small one bar fire and hence the spontaneously combusting socket.

Bulgarian Top Tip on electrics: Do not nail cables to wall!

Exploding Socket


Welcome to the 'Gud' Life, the home of self Reliant living on the internet. If you are interested in becoming more self reliant, or thinking of selling up and doing it for real you will find all you need to know right here. Written by someone who has done just that. Learn from my many mistakes

  A Quick Note On The Info Given On This Site

Dear All, the information on this website is given as is, I am not a solicitor, and believe the world would be a better place without them. If you follow the advice on this site, and use your common sense you will not come to any harm. I cannot and will not guarantee any of the information here, it is just based on my experience, and I am always willing to learn. Life after all is a learning experience. If you know of better or improved techniques please share them and I will update the site as neccessary. Enjoy and be happy. TGL 

  Storing & Preserving

  Storing & Preserving Home
  Beer & Wine

  Home Made Wine And Beer

  The Gud Life Shop

  Visit Our Shop of Homemade Beeswax Products

Search The Gud Life For An Article

Gud Life Search

English/Bulgarian/Turkish Translation Service Here


free counters



Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved DABG.EUlogo (51K)
Hosted for free by HOSTBG.EU

Talk to The Gud Life